Course professor: Milan Zejak
Program combines theoretical and practical knowledge from different areas of fashion industry and design, coordinated with the latest trends of this global industry.
The aim of the course is that students individually go through the entire process of clothing design: starting from the conceptual design, through stylization, illustration and installation, design and modeling, and ending with the realization in scenic or modern costume. During this process, students study the history and theory of costume design, drawing techniques and collage, and they are faced with the problems of textile technology, design and modeling of fabrics; they learn the methods of making a model - so they can transpose and apply their aesthetic vision in modern world.
Accent is on individual aesthetic expression, so each and every student is approached individually so they will be able to – in terms of their own individual affinities – develop a creative side of their personality.
1. Theory of modern design (etymology, perception, and criteria), trend analysis, the concept of costume, introduction to the history of costume
2. Techniques of drawing (pencil, ink, pastel, watercolor, collage) and palette of colors, basics of drawing the fashion figure; choosing an inspiration and research process
3. Analysis and development of the form: geometrization, stylization, transposing inspiration into a modern costume
4. Experimental aesthetic, redesign, recycling; choosing the ideal design
5. Fashion illustration, installation, photography and presentation
6. Making of technical drawing, position of the stitches and details on clothing item, function of color map, the terms confection and unique production
7. Introduction in textile design, technology of textile/types of materials and textile technique, assessment of materials that will be used
8. Construction and modeling clothes: getting to know with standard figure, measurements and ways of making cuts
9. Making preliminary cut-model from paper and correction of it on sartorial doll
10. Transfer of cuts on fabric, making a model and modeling techniques
11. Techniques of sewing: demonstration of different types of stitches, and ways of binding; making of a model
12. Final realization of a model, discussion of aesthetics, functionality and visual communication
The course is suitable for anyone (beginner or advanced).